Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are discussing
implementing a system that will “punish” suspected piracy activities. ISPs will
accomplish this by sending “educational copyright alerts” that are meant to inform
the user of their suspected pirating activity. If the user ignores the alerts
the ISP may use Internet speed
throttling which limits the user’s internet access; and then require the
user to meet with the ISP to discuss the pirating activity. There are no plans
to prosecute users who continue to pirate.
There are multiple views on the matter, two are
quoted below:
“"We anticipate
that very few subscribers, after repeated alerts, will persist (or allow others
to persist) in the illegal behavior," according to a statement on CCI's
website. According to the statement, Lesser joined the project because it's "centered
on education and deterrence, not punishment."”
“Not everyone agrees.
The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a group that defends Internet users'
rights, wrote that "an alert represents nothing more than an allegation
untried by a court. We think loss of Internet access would be a draconian
measure that Congress did not intend."”
What are your thoughts
on the issue?
I think this idea is great but I am not sure on how they are going to properly implement it. I do not think that can possibly "prosecute" each individual in a way that makes that individual feel guilty about what they have done. I do think it is powerful in the way that many people may not know exactly what they are doing so it may be helpful to inform them so that they do not do it again.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Casey that it will be helpful to inform those that may not be sure of what they are doing. However, I think if ISP's wanted to get serious then they should turn these individuals over to authorities or just ban them from the service all together. This might seem a bit harsh and at a loss of some profit, but it needs to happen if piracy wants to be cracked down on.
ReplyDeleteI think this is really risky. Having the government track your every move on the internet due to download material from the web. I think there shoulden't be no watch dog on the public online behavior. I think we shold be able to download as much freely as we can.
ReplyDeleteThe reason Piracy is such a big problem is that there is a big difference in what media corporations think digital media is worth, and what consumers think it is worth. The fact is that were bombarded with media from all angles now, and we expect it. People want music library's in the tens of thousands of songs, and they aren't going to pay tens of thousands of dollars. I think the only way we see piracy diminish is if the price of digital media decreases.
ReplyDeleteI understand how big of an issue piracy is these days, and how it economically affects businesses. I do think that there needs to be some kind of regulation, but I am not sure how this system will do that. Giving people the ability to recognize that they are noticed when they are downloading illegal intellectual property is a start, but how is there a for sure way to press charges against people. I just feel that there would be a lot of "loop-holes" for people to take advantage of still.
ReplyDeleteI believe that we should be able to download whatever we want as long as we don't share our downloaded files with other people, or burn these files, such as music, into a CD and sell it to people. But I also believe that knowing that you are being followed by someone is not fun at all, so how do think it would feel like when you know that it's the government who’s following you, at the end it’s not worth it.
ReplyDelete