This past weekend my friend’s
band released their first CD and sold it for $12. This got me thinking; who
would pirate something their friend produced? Come to find out my friends and I
will not; most of us bought our own copy of the CD and as far as I know none of
us plan to pirate it.
I realize that this may not be
the best example because they are just starting out, but even if they hit it
big there would be no way I would pirate their music. Who steals from their
friends?
I challenge everyone to do the following:
When faced with the option of pirating pretend it is your friend’s piece of
work and maybe that will cause you to change your mind about pirating.
Do you think this will help
prevent you from pirating? Would you pirate something your friend produced?
It is amazing how someone's mind can be influenced by having to buy something of a close relative. I would still buy my friend's CD hoping that if I produced something they would also buy it.
ReplyDeleteBut I still think for the majority that it comes down to money. The reason people pirate is that it saves them money and effort of buying that item.
I would have to say no,I would not steal (pirate) from a friend. If I did what kind of a friend would I be? Definetly not the one I want to be.
ReplyDeleteI think that this is a great point made. I have many friends that are in local bands, and some are in attempt to be discovered and nationally popular. I always find myself buying their music and albums, however, when it comes to the big name artists, I sometimes download through free music apps on my smartphone. It is something that I know I should not do, but those of us that are guilty probably justify it with the fact that they are such big name artists, that one simple download wont hurt them. This is not the case. I have found that the music industry cannot go on without its fans, and sales so that new music has a greater opportunity of being produced. I feel that if you like an artist enough that you want to own their music, then you should support them enough to want to hear more. Its a tricky situation, but I am relieved that less people are using illegal downloads.
ReplyDeleteI would not pirate anything one of my friends produced. For instance, there is a training DVD series that I would love to have from a horse trainer that I admire. It is $999.00 on sale, which seems like a rip off to me. Recently someone offered to find it online and make me a copy. Even though this horse trainer is rich, and I haven't even met him, I declined the offer because it felt like stealing to me, which it is. Needless to say, I still don't have the DVD training series.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that illegally downloading music isn't meant to harm anyone intentionally. It's so easy just to click a button without thinking about the artist it affects. I would buy my friend's music because I would want to show them that I support what they are doing.
ReplyDeleteYes I would definitely buy my friends CD or DVD. I would never be able to illegally download there material. I understand it is wrong to pirate certain stuff on the web but it's more convenient to download it online than go to the store and buy it. This is a great topic because I would never illegally download my friends stuff but would do it to other people.
ReplyDeleteThis is no different from pirating a cd or music from a celebrity. It is still their personal work that they have produced and whether it is your friend or not they both deserve the same respect for the time and effort that they have put in to making it. With access to iTunes and other music sites it is very to legally purchase songs via the internet.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that I would be able to illegally download my friends music just because their my friend and I want to support them; however, there should be a not be a problem with illegally downloading another artist music simply because a person need to know if their getting going to be fully satisfied with the product before they decide to buy it.
ReplyDeleteTimes have changed and music artist know this. We as consumers know this too. A CD or DVD is no longer worth the hefty price, and quite frankly it is not costing the record labels very much to make the cd's. They know that the majority of their money will not be made off of cd sales. Music artist today are having to evolve into entrepreneurs. They have to create a brand for themselves and market themselves in every way possible. They are making money in a TON of places. Every time a song of theirs is used in a movie, tv show, or on the radio they are receiving a percentage for EVERY time it air's.
ReplyDelete