Monday, February 27, 2012

Why do YOU choose to pirate music?


                The most recognized form of piracy in our opinion is music piracy. Have you ever illegally obtained music? Yes? No? Unsure? Here is a simple test; if you answer yes to any of the following questions then you have been a music pirate.

1) Have you ever downloaded music without paying for it?
2) Have you ever burned/ripped a CD for a friend?
3) Has a friend ever burned/ripped a CD for you?
4) Have you and a friend bought a CD together?
5) Have you ever ripped a CD to your computer and then sold the CD?

The truth is you would be hard pressed to find someone who has never pirated music, so why might one do it? Listed below are a couple of reasons one may pirate music, do you think these reasons are excusable or inexcusable? Have you or a friend ever used these reasons to pirate music?

                1) Music costs too much.
                2) It is easier to download it for free.
                3) The artists have enough money.
                4) The record companies have enough money.

 What other reasons might someone pirate music?


7 comments:

  1. Because of the nature of post I will use "Average Joe" who is a real individual as an example. Joe in no way, shape, or form had anything to do with myself.

    Coming up through highschool there was Joe who ran a business in school selling burnt copies of music to everyone for around $2-$5 a CD depending on what it was. Joe didn't pirate music for one of the four reasons listed, he did it for his own source of income. Do I believe it's right now? No. Did I think it was right then? I had no opinion. This was easily 7 years ago, everyone was unaware of the severity of Joes doings. I agree with what was said here, It would be nearly impossible to discover anyone who has truly never pirated something somehow. Everyone has pirated in some way or another at some point in their life whether they're are aware of it or not if they have a computer I can almost guarantee. But when people do it, no one thinks of the big picture, that it "hurts" the music industry and the artists. That's just not a thought that comes across anyones mind. I mean seriously, they have software you can download where anything on YouTube you watch you can extract the audio from it and put into mp3 format for your players "Joe" said. The ease to access music free Joe would say is easy and only getting easier. It will never be stopped.

    Again, I myself am in no way, shape, or form associated with anything discussed in this topic. Responses are strictly for educational purposes.

    Good post guys & interesting topic !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew people that used to sell bootleggeg copies of movies. I never thought of it as piracy, just illegal. The quality usually was pretty bad or downright awful. I never purchased one, but I have downloaded music off of limewire. I learned my lesson as my computer had so many viruses thst the repairman couldn't even figure out where half of them came from or what they were. After that lesson it is actually cheaper to purchase from the online store or to buy a cd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always curious, although you aren't technically pirating anything, I remember back in the day when they had cassette tapes, people used to record songs off the radio. Is that considered piracy? Nowadays the radio stations have turned to streaming music on the internet and there are ways of recording the streams, would that be considered a form of piracy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julian,

      We looked up your question and the best answer we could find is this,

      "You can legally record music from a public broadcasting or regular radio station for personal use only. According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), you must use an analog cassette. You can’t legally distribute it in any fashion. This includes lending it to a friend."

      Read more: What Are the Legal Issues of Recording Music Off of the Radio Onto a Cassette Tape? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6749686_legal-radio-onto-cassette-tape_.html#ixzz1owxS6slw

      Delete
  4. It's funny because most people have made their friend/family a burned cd without even realizing that that's illegal. Blank cd's are sold in stores and the button to burn a cd is clear and obvious on itunes so nobody would even question it, which then brings about the morality question. It's obviously not moral to do illegal things but if you do not realize it's illegal then you will not think you are doing anything immoral...But also, say you have a sibling, lots of people buy cd's and share with their siblings but technically that's illegal? That's kind of absurd to try to stop things of that nature from happening or to make everyone feel like they should purchase the same item more than once within a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you when it comes to sharing CD's with a family member especially when you are in the same house. The law can be a little strict and unwavering it seems sometimes but in all honesty, you and your sibling could sit down and enjoy the CD together or just share it among the two of you. It only becomes illegal when another form of the copy you legally purchased is made.

      Delete
  5. There will be always be people finding new ways to circumvent the laws. I personally have never thought of music piracy as a large issue but I can see it being a big deal to the musicians who see it as their work and want the proper payment.

    College students, such as us, don't see the stealing of music the same way as adults do. Financial background, rebellion, easy access, and various other reasons are why people continue to "steal" music. This will be one of those problems that will never get fixed by the government.

    ReplyDelete